Interstate 95 reopens in Dumfries after fatal accident

accident on 95 today

Updated at 4:13 p.m.:

Interstate 95 has reopened following an earlier fatal crash, which blocked two southbound lanes near Dumfries and snarled traffic for several hours on Friday afternoon.

A Nissan Versa was heading southbound on I-95 at 11:15 a.m. when it ran off the left side of the road, according to the Virginia State Police. It hit the jersey wall and flipped over, landing on a Honda Civic that was also traveling southbound.

Matthew Wilkerson of Fredericksburg, the driver of the Civic, was pronounced dead at the scene, the police said. The man driving the Versa and a woman also in the car, both unnamed adults, were flown to Inova Fairfax Hospital for treatment of life-threatening injuries.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation, police said.

— Mark Berman

Updated at 1:09 p.m.

One lane of Interstate 95 southbound has re-opened after an earlier fatal accident. The far left lane is getting through with traffic but the

two right lanes remain blocked as investigators are on the scene.

Original post at 12:29 p.m.

The southbound lanes of Interstate 95 are shut down Friday mid-day after a fatal accident involving two vehicles.

Virginia State Police said the roadway would likely be shut down for at least an hour as investigators do an accident reconstruction of the area.

The accident occurred around 11:15 a.m. on the interstate near Route 234 in Dumfries.

Two vehicles collided, police said, and a person from one of the vehicles has been confirmed dead at the scene.

The driver and passenger of the other vehicle were flown to Inova Fairfax Hospital. They are being treated for serious injuries, according to police.

Traffic is being diverted to the HOV lanes.

Dana Hedgpeth is the Washington Post’s lead reporter in covering the Metro rail and bus systems in the D.C. region and the Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA) that runs them.


Category: Accident

Similar articles: