One dead after big rigs collide on Highway 99 in Turlock

accident on highway 99 today

TURLOCK — A big rig driver died early today after a chain-reaction accident that closed Highway 99 southbound for several hours.

According to California Highway Patrol officer Rick Horrocks, a big rig was merging back onto the freeway from the shoulder near Lander Road when another big rig slowed to let it into the slow lane. The driver of a third big rig apparently didn’t see what was happening and drove into the back of the slowing truck.

“It pushed the second big rig into the first big rig,” Horrocks said.

The accident killed the driver of the third big rig, Horrocks said. One of the other truckers was taken to a hospital.

Two of the trucks caught fire and triggered a grass fire.

The accident happened about midnight; crews finally cleared all lanes of the highway at 11 a.m.

Horrocks said he didn’t have information on the names of those involved.

UPDATE - Crews are still cleaning up debris on Highway 99 in Turlock from a midnight wreck involving three big rigs that killed one of the truck drivers and injured another. The accident happened south

of Lander Road. As of mid-morning, southbound traffic on Highway 99 was still being funneled into one lane from Lander all the way north to the West Main Street exit to downtown Turlock.

The wreckage of two of the trucks is still at the scene of the accident. The badly mangled and burned third truck, in which the driver died, has been removed.

A chain reaction pileup involving three big rigs killed one of the truckers and disrupted traffic for several hours on Highway 99 in Turlock today. The California Highway Patrol said it might be noon before all lanes are reopened.

The accident happened around midnight on Highway 99 at Lander Road. The CHP said one truck that had stalled on freeway was struck from behind by a second truck, and a third truck then slammed into the second truck.

The trucks caught fire and triggered a grass fire. The driver of the third truck was killed, and one of the other truckers was taken to a hospital.

As of 8 a.m. only one of the southbound lanes was opened as CalTrans crews used heavy equipment to clean up the charred wreckage.


Category: Accident

Similar articles: