Accident reporting forms

accident reporting forms

When to report an accident

Any accident must be reported when it results in:

  • Injury or death of a person.
  • $1,000 or more total damage to property owned by any one person.
  • Damages of $200 or more to government property (except motor vehicles).

Call the police immediately. They will report it for you. If they cannot file the report, you will need to complete a Wisconsin Driver Report of Accident form MV4002 and mail it to:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)

Accident Records Unit

P.O. Box 7919

Madison, WI 53707-7919

The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) checks for insurance coverage on all drivers listed on an accident report. If all motorists in an accident are insured, no action is taken. If you are perceived to be at fault and uninsured, the other parties involved should complete the appropriate evaluation forms.

Accident entries on your driver record

Regardless of fault,

accidents appear on the driver record of all drivers involved in a reportable accident.

The driver record only shows involvement in an accident on a specific date, the severity, and the county of occurrence. It does not show who was at fault.

Insurance companies secure information from your driver record and other sources to determine if any claims have been paid out under your policy.

You can obtain an official copy of your driver record. There is a $5 fee for each record requested.

If the information on your driver record does not agree with the information your insurance company has, you will need to contact your insurance company for further information and clarification.

Request a copy of an accident report

To request an accident report, you must know the date of the accident and the name of one of the drivers involved or the Crash Document Number or DOT Accident Number.

You can request an accident report by any of the following methods:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)


Category: Accident

Similar articles: