Texas Car Accident Statistics
Car Accident Lawyers Serving the Houston Area
Of all states, Texas consistently leads the nation in the number of traffic accident fatalities. Approximately 3,000 people are killed in auto accidents in Texas each year, and from 2010 through 2012 the state had the highest number of fatalities in the country. Analyzing statistics for these collisions can help us get a better idea of why they occur and just how many lives they impact or claim. You can review this information or can call a Houston car accident attorney at Stern Law Group at any time to discuss your case. We are happy to offer our experienced insight.
Houston Car Accident Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TDOT), there were 47,585 traffic accidents in Houston in 2012:
- 176 were fatal accidents, claiming 193 lives;
- 5,387 were serious injury accidents, leaving 7,307 people seriously injured;
- 12,014 were classified as injury accidents, leaving 19,703 people injured;
- 28,050 were non-injury accidents; and
- 1,958 were classified as "unknown severity."
Texas Auto Accident Facts & Figures
Also according to the TDOT, 3,399 people lost their lives in traffic accidents in Texas in 2012. This was an increase of nearly 11% from the previous year, in which 3,067 fatalities occurred. Also according to TDOT statistics from 2012:
- 1 person was killed in a Texas traffic accident every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
- 1 reportable traffic collision occurred every 75 seconds.
- 230,506 people were injured in traffic accidents in Texas. 87,087 people sustained serious injuries.
- 38.7% of traffic fatalities were classified as "single vehicle. run-off-the-road crashes."
- 32.3% of the people killed in traffic accidents lost their lives in drunk driving accidents.
- The following types of vehicles were involved in the most fatal accidents in Texas in 2012:
- Passenger cars: 1,500
- Pickup trucks: 1,173
- SUVs: 792
- Motorcycles. 465
- Tractor-trailers/semi-trucks. 389
- Vans: 168
- Trucks: 133
- The following types of vehicles were involved in the most serious injury accidents:
- Passenger cars: 52,243
- Pickup trucks: 22,375
- SUVs: 21,429
- Motorcycles: 5,740
- Vans: 4,681
- Tractor-trailers/semi-trucks: 2,703
- Trucks: 2,541
Contributing Factors to Texas Car Accidents
There are many scenarios which may lead to a car accident. A driver may be distracted and run a red light, an animal may run into the road or a driver may be speeding. Looking at the most common causes of Texas auto accidents can help one understand what behavior to avoid and what to be on the lookout for in terms of driver negligence. According to the TDOT, the following were the leading causes of Texas traffic accidents in 2012:
- Failed to control speed: 108,466
- Driver inattention: 82,833
- Failed to drive in single lane: 27,073
- Failure to yield – turning left: 25,981
- Unsafe lane change: 23,572
- Following too closely: 23,333
- Faulty evasive action: 22,151
- Failure to yield – stop sign: 22,144
- Unsafe speed (under limit): 21,006
- Disregard stop sign or light: 16,800
- Failure to yield – private drive: 15,230
- Driving under the influence of alcohol: 15,113
- Had been drinking: 10,592
- Distraction in vehicle: 10,261
Ask an Attorney at Stern Law Group
If you were involved in a car accident in the Houston area and are looking for a legal professional who can provide insight regarding the true value of your claim and your right to compensation, call our firm. We have helped more than 30,000 clients and have successfully recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements through our years in practice. We are well-equipped to handle your car accident case to the best possible result. Call today!