Accident damaged cars for sale

accident damaged cars for sale

Accident Damaged Cars For Sale

  • (car) a wheeled vehicle adapted to the rails of railroad; “three cars had jumped the rails”

    1893 Duryea rear left

    Charles Edgar Duryea (December 15, 1861 – September 28, 1938) was a manufacturer of motor vehicles. He was born near Canton, Illinois, the son of George Washington Duryea and Louisa Melvina Turner. He died in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

    Duryea Automobile

    Charles Duryea and his brother Frank (1869 – 1967) were bicycle makers in Washington, D.C. and later in Chicopee, Massachusetts. In 1893, they tested their first gasoline-powered automobile model and in 1896 established a company, the Duryea Motor Wagon Company, to build the Duryea model automobile, the first auto ever commercially manufactured. Charles Duryea sought out investors and buyers while his brother, Frank Duryea, primarily handled the mechanical side of the business. The previous year, their vehicle, driven by brother Frank, had won a race in Evanston, Illinois, against cars mostly made in Germany.

    One of their early cars was involved in the first known auto accident.

    The Duryea Motor Wagon Company, established in 1895, was one of the first American firms to build gasoline automobiles.

    Founded by Charles Duryea and his brother Frank, they built a one-cylinder "Ladies Phaeton", first demonstrated on September 21, 1893 in Chicopee, Massachusetts. It is considered the first successful gas-engine vehicle built in the U.S.

    This 1893-94 Duryea is one of the earliest American-made automobiles. This four-wheeled vehicle has metal tires with a buggy body and top. The one-cylinder, four-cycle, four-horsepower, water-cooled gasoline engine, with make-and-break electric ignition, lies almost horizontally beneath the body, and its cylinder head extends backward above the rear axle. Bevel gears transmitted power from the vertical crankshaft to a main horizontal shaft, and then spur gears transmitted it to a small jackshaft having a small double-shrouded pinion at each end. Three friction clutches on the main shaft—two for the forward speeds and one for reverse—are operated through cable connections by an up or down movement.

    In 1895, a second Duryea (built in 1894), driven by Frank, won the Chicago Times Herald race in Chicago on a snowy Thanksgiving day. He travelled 54 miles (87 km) at an average 7.5 mph (12 km/h), marking the first U.S. auto race in which any entrants finished. That same year, the brothers began commercial production, with thirteen cars sold by the end of 1896.

    On July 9, 1895 the Chicago Times-Herald announced a race to be held in the city, with a winning prize of $5,000. The promotion was an attempt to foster growth of the young auto industry in the United States and to boost newspaper sales. Automobiles were so new at the time, the first autos in the nation were produced only two years earlier, that the paper’s editors could not easily agree upon a name for them. After considerable wrangling, the editors decided to call it a Moto-Cycle race, and first used the term in a July 15 article.[1]

    The original course of the race was to run from Chicago north to Milwaukee, but the roads were found to be too poor for early cars to easily traverse. The route was changed to be only 54 miles (87 km) from Chicago to

    Evanston and back. The finish line was near what is now the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry (what had been the Palace of Fine Arts at the 1893 Columbian Exposition). The race was intended to be held on November 2, but few cars had shown up, and rhe race was rescheduled. Eighty-three cars were initially entered into the race, but only six arrived for the actual competition. Many of the entrants did not have their cars completed on time, and several were unable to make the journey. Elwood Haynes’ car, which was a favorite to win the race, was damaged en route and unable to compete.

    Both Haynes and the driver of a Benz car, were stopped by police while driving their cars into the city. They were forced to requisition horses to pull the cars… as the police informed them, they had no right to drive their vehicles on the city streets. The situation caused the race to again be postponed while the Times-Herald editors convinced the city leaders to pass an ordinance to confirm the right of these vehicles to travel on city streets. Once the ordinance passed, the race was held on November 28, Thanksgiving Day. The day was snowy and 38 °F (4 °C), the roads muddy, with snow drifts in places.

    The first car to arrive was a German made car by inventor Karl Benz. In total, three Benz cars ran in the race. The only other four-wheeled car to run in the race was Charles Duryea’s motorized wagon. The two other vehicles that took part were two-wheeled automobiles. The "motorcycles" lacked the power to climb one of the course’s grades. Another entrant was electric-powered, and its battery died because of the cold weather before getting very far. Just after starting, one Benz struck a horse, and was forced to leave the race. On the return trip the Duryea began to take the lead. The Duryea car took first place and the grand prize, c

    the gift from Thomas…

    this morning there was an accident. Young man, too fast, clips the car in front. Both spin off the road and crash…the young mans car flips on it’s side into a ditch.

    Hovis and I stop and I grab blankets and glucose from the back seat.

    A young father, clutching his small son, climbs from his car embedded in trees and bushes and inside a dog lies shivering in the boot.

    The terrible silence from the flipped car cannot be ignored but we cannot get to it.

    Taking the child from the father while he stands against his battered car I walk away with him to look at catkins and daffodils. A small person named Thomas sits on my hip and we catch sight of a wooden reindeer left over from past christmas sales of logs and trees. He points and, bizarrely, we sing jingle bells together in the spring sunshine and laugh.

    Only when his grandparents arrive do I return to the car and I see the true damage. The branch of a tree, the thickness of an elephants trunk, lies centimeters away from what is Thomas’s carseat.

    I have had this daffodil with me all day…and now each year they will have an extra special joy for me…


    Category: Accident

    Similar articles: