Road traffic accidents
What is An Accident ?
- Accident is an undesired or unintended happening. Inevitable accident falls within the concept of ACT OF GOD OR DAMNUM FATALE OR AN Unfortunate harmful event, event without apparent cause unexpected occurring.
- A Motor Traffic Accident occurs on highway collision with Vehicles, persons or with property.
i). What is a Vehicle (MTA – 240) defines what a vehicle is
Vehicle is defined in section 240 of the Motor Traffic Act.Vehicle includes bicycles, tricycles, motor vehicles, vehicles of every description, pedestrians, processions, and bodies of troops, and all animals being ridden, driven or led.
i. between a vehicle and other vehicle.
ii. Vehicle colliding with a person
iii. Vehicle colliding with movable or unmovable property
iv. When a Vehicle goes off the road
v. A person being knocked down with another person.
vi. Due to natural or man made disaster
Reasons for Accidents
- Recklessness of the Driver
- Negligent of the Driver
- Indiscipline driving
- Lack of knowledge
i. Road Rules and regulations
ii. Road conditions
iii. Weather conditions
iv. Conditions of the vehiclev. knowledge regarding apparatus, controls, equipments
Recommendations to prevent accidents
- All road users to act with civic responsibility.
- To educate infants children high / junior school students / adults elderly people on traffic safety
- Safe driving programmes to be conducted to drivers / riders and also conductors to be educated on safety
- Road infrastructure defects to be identified and rectified by RDA, and all other stake holders
- Discipline driving method to be taught examine driving knowledge skills and also the knowledge of rules and regulations and medical fitness before issuance of driving and riding license
- Identified risk drivers and to cancel/ suspend / their licenses by judiciary or by demerits systems by the CMT
- To increase insurance premium of risk drivers
- Deterrent punishment for offenders committing fatal grievous and serious accidents
- Renewal of driving license every 3 years having rechecked the knowledge on rules and regulations health and driving skills and driving records.
- To include traffic road safety as a major in school curriculum
- To have special driving programmes for school leavers
- Advance traffic management and road safety centers on mobile for education / enforcement purpose on highways.
- Reflectors and other accessories to be fitted to peddle cyclists.
- Educate to wear reflective materials at night it increases the visibility of the driver in avoiding accidents.
- Use of modern technique
- Promotion drives to support elderly / young / novice drivers
- Practice courteous
- Improved enforcement by police and other agencies more moving violations to be detected.
- Public transport systems to be improved and necessary recognition
- Black spots to be identified and remedial action
Rally Round in making road safer and to prevent accidents