Accident investigation template
Identify different types of accident causes. Know the purpose of accident investigation. In accordance with Governor Kathleen Blanco's Executive Order KBB 2005-8. – PowerPoint PPT presentation
Title: Accident Investigation
- Explain the meaning and impact of accidents
- Identify different types of accident causes
- Know the purpose of accident investigation
- Explain how to conduct an accident investigation
- Know how to document accident investigations.
- Unplanned event results in mishap (personal
people, equipment, materials, or environment toreact as expected.
- Determine the sequences of events leading to
- Direct Consequences
- Personal injury
- Property loss
- Indirect Consequences
- Lost income
- Medical expenses
- Time to retrain another person
- Decreased employee moral
Decisions Personal Factors/Environmental Factors
Unsafe Act Performance
Unplanned release of energy (Direct Cause)
Examples of Accident CausesBe Prepared
- Develop a policy for accident investigation
- Routinely audit your policy to
- - ensure personnel understand their role
- - system is driving corrective actions
- Assign responsibilities to personnel
- - employee must be trained to investigate
- - investigator should know process
- Interview witnesses.
- Document the accident scene before any changes
- Make documented observations on
- Pre-accident conditions
- Accident sequence
- Post-accident conditions
- Document the facts (i.e. location, witness
- Job Hazard analysis
- Sequence diagrams
- Change analysis
Job Hazard AnalysisChange Analysis
- A change analysis consists of
- Defining the problem
- Establishing the norm
- Identifying, locating, and describing the change
- Identify what was affected and not affected
- List features of change
- Pick likely causes
- Interview promptly.
- Establish rapport with witness (treat as equal).
- Get the facts.
- Write down the witnesss statement
- Complete an accident investigation form to
- From the accident investigation form and witness
statements write an accident investigationreport. The report should include
- Survey the scene
- Secure the scene (initiate interim controls)
- Get help for the injured
- Collect evidence
- Analyze data
- Determine causes (scientific methods)
- Follow up (eliminate hazards)
- In accordance with Governor Kathleen Blancos
security-sensitive positions are subject to drug
testing. The policy also applies to all persons
who have made written application for positions
designated as safety-sensitive and/or
security-sensitive or who are promoted into a
position that is considered safety-sensitiveand/or security-sensitive.
testing under the following conditions
reasonable suspicion, post-accident, and
random testing as part of a monitoring programestablished
- Conditions when employer may test employees for
employee hired for a safety-sensitive and/or
security-sensitive position must undergo
controlled substance drug testing prior to beingplaced in the position.
following an accident during the course and scope
of employment if there is reasonable suspicion of
an employees drug use or if the accident resultsin
302173(2) or hazardous materials.
- Report injury/illness to supervisor immediately.
- Report in person to Human Resources as soon as
possible unless there is a medical emergency or
life/limb emergency. Report to Human Resourcesas soon as possible after emergency treatment.
Management/Drug Testing (if required) in Human
Resources before seeking medical assistance
unless there is a medical emergency or alife/limb emergency.
or transitional modified duty that is within
medical restrictions (if any) as set by
physician, as part of a rehabilitation program if
applicable to position, and as approved byappropriate university personnel